I don’t know about you guys, but being a part of the health and fitness industry, I hear a lot about Superfoods. What exactly are these Superfoods every fitness guru likes to talk about? By definition, a Superfood is a nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being. I love adding Superfoods to my smoothies and I’m here today to talk about my favorites and what amazing things they can do for your body!
- Acai: If you read my blog post about acai bowls, then you already know I’m a big fan of this super berry. Acai is known for it’s anti-aging and weight-loss properties. It has incredibly high levels of antioxidants which help to fight cancer and is also one of the only fruits with oleic acid-a heart healthy fat that is also found in olive oil. You can buy it in powders or frozen packets and add them to your smoothie bowls like I do! Try to avoid the ones with added sugars. Use fruit in your smoothie bowl to make it sweet!
- Goji Berries: These tangy little berries are one of my favorite toppings for smoothie bowls, or just a yummy snack after school! They are rich in antioxidants and have been used by Chinese herbalists for a long time to treat visual ailments and poor circulation as well as boost the immune system. You can find them at your local grocery store, so eat up!
- Cacao Powder: Who doesn’t love chocolate, am I right? But we’ve been told that, though chocolate has its healthy properties, too much of it is unhealthy; especially the ones with a lot of added sugar. Cacao powder is my go-to when I’m craving something sweet but don’t want to mess with my fitness goals. I add cacao powder and frozen bananas into a blender and viola! You have yourself some healthy chocolate ice cream. Cacao powder contains flavonoids, which help to lower your blood pressure and improve blood flow to the brain and heart. It also contains high levels of magnesium, which helps in muscle recovery. I tend to make myself a cacao and banana smoothie post-workout to help aid my worked muscles!
- Chia Seeds: I’m sure this is one you guys are used to seeing. Chia seeds are among the easiest Superfoods to incorporate into your diet because you can literally sprinkle them into and on everything! They area a plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and fiber. They have a kind of nutty flavor, and are a perfect add-on to any dish, whether it be a salad, stir fry, smoothie, you name it!
- Maca Powder: This is one I have recently gotten into because it is known to regulate hormone balance. Maca is a root vegetable that is processed into a powder and is also known for boosting energy and endurance. I tend to put a teaspoon of maca powder in my smoothies because it does have a rather strong nutty taste to it. Definitely don’t over-do it because a little really does go a long way with this Superfood.
- Hemp Seeds: These may be my favorite. Like chia seeds, hemp seeds are an easy add on to anything. Hemp seeds are a complete source of plant based protein, and rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. They have a mild nutty taste so my favorite way to eat them is on top of my avocado toast. Mmmmm
So there ya have it! Some of the top Superfoods broken down and made simple. Now head out to your local grocery store or health food market and pick up a few that sound good to you!